Search This Blog

Thursday, January 21, 2021

Moving My Blog

 Howdy everyone,

I have an announcement to make! I'm moving my blog!

Yep, you read that right. Allow me to give a little history here.

When I first started this blog, i used a Wordpress site that I had set up on my domain, at http://blog.rlcopple.com. But the constant requirements to keep it upgraded, the time it took to deal with that since practically every time it upgraded, I had to replace the theme since it invariable broke the one I had been using--I grew tired of dealing with it so I made the decision to move the whole site to blogger.

Which did take some doing, but I was able to edit the Wordpress files enough that it would point a person who clicked on an old link somewhere to the same post on blogger, and I successfully imported all my posts, except any comments, to this site you are reading on now.

So, yep, recent events dealing with "Big Tech" giants and their power have caused me to, in as much as possible, to "deGoggle" myself. Being that this blog site is owned by Google, that means I want to no longer use it if I could figure out a way to do so. I investigated the online Word Press option, Blogger's direct competitor, but it appeared I would have to fork over extra cash of some amount to get the same services I have here for free. So, what to do?

Then I realized that I could potentially modify my "Simple Website" to work as a blogging platform. So after looking into the coding (boy, it has been a while since I looked at the coding on this php software/application) last night, I figured out how to turn it into a blogging platform. So I spent today working on putting some content on it, basically all the chapters of Ally's Angelic Adventures, onto the blog, and it is now ready for devouring by the public at large!

I've decided that importing all the blog post from around 2007 or 2008, don't recall exactly what year I started this, would be too big and time consuming of a task, after working with the xml file I downloaded from blogger. So, currently, I'm electing to leave these here as they are, as long as Google keeps this site open, and start with fresh posts on my new blog.

Now, there is some functionality I will lose out on, at least for a while. First, and this is the biggest one, I don't yet have a means to allow comments to be put on blog posts. And I am reluctant to do so for two reasons.

One, in all my time of hosting blogs, I've rarely ever had a "real" comment. Mostly it has been  a bunch of spam, 99% of the time. I'm not eager to use my time coding and then managing all the spam I'm likely to get as a result of that coding.

Two, most of the comments I've received on my blog post have come from, yep, you guessed it, Facebook posts! So, why not just post any blogs there and have people respond to them there, since that is what they will likely do anyway. And yes, I'm trying to stay away from FB as much as possible too. I think I've come down on the side of using it to "advertise" blog posts and my Linux videos, but to do most, if not all, my personal stuff on MeWe. Just so you know where to find me.

Another function that I'm still working on, but plan on "fixing" soon (just depends on how would be the best way to go about it) is categories or "tags" that searches could be done on. Yes, that is one feature I do have is a search function. Sort of basic, but it works.

Aside from those two things, the only other issue (if I were to use this for other people) is the theme-ing is limited to a CSS file that can mainly change the way things look, to a certain degree, but can't rearrange items etc. since the basic structure is hard-coded in. That would take a good deal more coding work (than it would be worth) to make that happen. It serves my purposes adequately.

At any rate, this should be--unless something goes horribly wrong on my new site, the last post on this site, but to say it again, all the post that are here, will remain here. Only new post will go up onto my new site. That seemed to be the simplest way to do this. 

What is the new site? It is: https://blog.rlcopple.com

Oh, I also don't have a way to "subscribe" to my blog yet. I'll have to work on that. I may make one more post here announcing that function when I have it. Until then, I'll see you at the new blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment